Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Safety



The bright orange colour of the life ring is the international colour of safety and visibility. I’ve always believed that safety is an “inside job” and if we don’t feel safe deep within ourselves, no amount of locks, chains, guards or bolts will ever make us feel safe.


"Safety does not lie in contraction. Something has gone awry because you have believed that contraction could make you safe. Now practice the opposite. Start believing that it is expansion that will make you safe, and then be the observer. You can find a hundred ways to expand every day. Just try it. In the midst of something that looks frightening, start expanding with your breath. The natural act of filling your lungs with air will straighten your spine and extend your chest. Then you will be 'leading with the heart.' And the heart is where you feel the love."


"When you wake up every morning, plant this statement deeply inside your awareness: "As much as I am able this day, I will go within, ask and listen; and I am going to trust and risk by doing what I feel to be true. Thus, I will follow the response rather than the safety of my habitual patterns".


From the Heart of a Gentle Brother – Mary Margaret Moore

12 comments:

  1. That is a very empowering passage and the perfect photo to accompany it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. inspiring words for this morning and the shot with the scene in the background is a treat

    ReplyDelete
  3. great shot - very clear and crisp color

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's beautiful. Thank you. Wonderful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow, I needed to read that -- and I love the photo. Kind of vintage, and that's my fave color combo, too.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes me want to run down that hill, between those trees, into the water, in my bermuda shorts, braids, freckles & white sockless keds in 1958...although I wasn't born yet. What a great pop of orange in the circular shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate - love the photo and your processing. I'm going to copy down what you wrote - I like it THAT much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what powerful words. your photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is one of my favorite shots! I just love the turquoise against the orange, and the scenery in the background is so gorgeous. Great one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh the safety of habitual patterns is such a siren call. wonderful words and inspiration! love what you did to the photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I need to copy this and read it every morning...Your photo is gorgeous and the quote...inspiring...

    ReplyDelete

 
Elegant de BlogMundi