Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Childhood Passion...

IMG_0799

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So many of us had a passion for reading as a child that I will define my passion even further...I had a true passion for all things Louisa May Alcott.  I loved to read even when very young...I can remember pretending to read picture books before I really could... but my true passion started when I first read Little Women...I can remember the first time I read it, maybe I was nine, sitting on the porch of a beach cottage, crying over Beth's death.  Since then I have read this book many, many times as well as every other book LMA wrote.   The books pictured were my mother's and then mine.  I cherish her name in each of them...Because of  Little Women I had to try to read Pilgrim's Progress...which I never could get through...and Dickens's Pickwick Papers...which I loved...and from there to other 19th Century novelists...and on and on.   I so wanted to BE Louisa May Alcott and to write like her...

13 comments:

  1. many of my faves here. and i still love to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is wonderful! I always wanted to be Jo...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes....I've always wanted to be Jo March. I loved Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys. I re-read it about once a year and still cry when Beth dies.

    what beautiful books to cherish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful post...I love the old books and the way you have presented them *chippy paint-sigh*. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. they don't make 'em like that anymore~great soft colors in this still.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this photo and your posts about your childhood passions. Wonderful. These old books, I love the almost mildew smell. Very sweet!
    ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Little Woman, I have no idea how many times I have read the book. A nice reminder to read it again. I also love the movie...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have also read this book many times and now I cherish all the old copies of it that I keep finding at estate sales....

    I have 3 now and use one to cut up for my artwork and journaling....

    the other two, well those I just hold close to my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oliag, I'm so pleased that you share my passion! I love Louisa May Alcott and your copies are such treasures because they were handed down to you from your mother. Beautiful shot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I loved "Little Women," too, and collected a set of Alcott's books. Jo was also the character I wanted to be.... I loved her independence and passion.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed Little Women, but I was drawn into the dark love story of Jane Eyre completely. Much to my chagrin, that love of that book may have been due to my attraction to 'bad boys,' an addiction I have now weened myself from.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not only lovely memories shared but a really nice photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree...wonderful books and great photo to represent them.

    ReplyDelete

 
Elegant de BlogMundi